Neodymium Magnet Safety

Powerful attraction forces can cause serious injury.

Neodymium magnets possess a greater strength compared to other types of magnets. The immense force exerted between these magnets can often catch people off guard due to their unfamiliarity with their power. It is crucial to be cautious as fingers and other body parts can get caught between two magnets. In the case of larger magnets, such injuries can be severe.

Neodymium magnets are not for children.

Neodymium magnets are not toys.  Children should not be allowed to handle neodymium magnets.  Small magnets can pose a choking hazard.  If multiple magnets are swallowed, they can attach to one another through intestine walls.  This can cause a severe health risk, requiring immediate, emergency surgery if correctly diagnosed.

Neodymium magnets can affect pacemakers.

The strong magnetic fields near a neodymium magnet can affect pacemakers, ICDs and other implanted medical devices.  Many of these devices are made with a feature that deactivates it with a magnetic field.  Therefore, care must be taken to avoid inadvertently deactivating such devices.

Neodymium magnets are brittle and fragile.

Neodymium magnets are made of a hard, brittle material.  Despite being made of metal, and the shiny, metallic appearance of their nickel plating, they are not as durable as steel.

Neodymium magnets can peel, chip, crack or shatter if allowed to slam together.  Eye protection should be worn when handling magnets, since shattering magnets can launch small pieces at great speeds.

Neodymium magnets are not easily drilled or machined.

Magnets can affect magnetic media.

The strong magnetic fields near neodymium magnets can damage magnetic media such as floppy disks, credit cards, magnetic I.D. cards, cassette tapes, video tapes or other such devices. They can also damage televisions, VCRs, computer monitors and CRT displays. Avoid placing neodymium magnets near electronic appliances.

Neodymium magnets can become demagnetized at high temperatures.

While operating temperatures are often listed as 80°C (175°F), the actual maximum operating temperature of a magnet can vary depend on the grade, magnet shape and how it is used.

Neodymium magnet powder or dust is flammable.

Avoid drilling or machining neodymium magnets.  When ground into a dust or powder, this material is highly flammable.

Neodymium magnets can corrode.

Neodymium magnets are susceptible to rust and corrosion when exposed to moisture. Although our magnets are plated with three layers of nickel-copper-nickel, which provides adequate protection for many applications, they are not waterproof. If used underwater, outdoors, or in a moist environment, they can corrode and lose their magnetic strength. It is important to keep this in mind when handling neodymium magnets to ensure their longevity and effectiveness.