In my experience the sandwich with the magnetic brace acts as a damper making the acoustic sound of my guitar thin and nasal. I'm thinking about alternative attachment solutions but i couldn't find any better for now. I'd be please if someone would help about this matter.
I think that, in my particular case -double back classical guitar, a detachable Surface speaker with a suction cup could be a way to go.
Thanks and regards from Austria!
In Pedro's situation, he has a double backed instrument and the X-Brace was dampening the inner back's ability to vibrate freely. Most guitar's will not have a double back. He did come up with a clever mounting method using external magnets, however.
It may not be the most finish friendly, but Industrial Strength velcro will work for mounting without the X-Brace.
I'm also interested in alternative attachment methods. I have a number of high end custom steel string guitars designed to have very active (single) backs, e.g. Kostals, Sands and a Wingert. I'm finding that the TWA X brace does significantly adversely affect the acoustic tone of these guitars and so am interested in alternative/temporary mounting solutions such that I can use the TWA on them but - when not using them - can play the guitars without the X brace. So far the only solution for that is using blue painters tape - but that doesn't seem to be a very elegant solution for various reasons, including the time involved, having to remove all the tape every time the guitar is put back in its case, the tape not being that secure, etc. Are there any other options/ideas?
Please can you let us know a bit more about using external magnets, suction cups and velcro? I've tried attaching the X-brace with velro, but found the weight of the X-brace meant it detached (pulling the velcro with it where it attached to the guitar using it's self adhesive backing). If you've any tips of n veclro bands/how much velcro to use, etc, please let me know?
The idea is really basic: just a piece of thin Static protection film, some magnets and two pieces of thin metal. It fixes the TWA really well and the sound it's good, i just have to improve how it looks. However i still think that the weight of the TWA on the back of some guitar may introduce some nodes to its vibration capabilities, that's why i'd like to experiment with a detachable surface speaker to reduce this matter (that will of course involve some deeper modifications and new mounting challenges). Best regards!
Pacemaker related - Is Pedro's surface mounts or velcro a workable solution for players with a pacemaker?
Hey Ed, he's still using magnets. We've seen Industrial Strength Velcro used as a magnet free option. It may not be finish friendly, but it does work!
Pedro - I wonder if you could give us a little more detail on how your setup works - e.g. is this non-adhesive static window film? What about the metal bar and magnet specs/sizes? Do you have the extra magnets on the back of the TWA, then these clamp to the thin metal under the film? Keen to recreate this myself and just trying to source the right parts.
If you (or TWA) come up with something better, please do let me know!
Ok, what I'm going to try is:
2 x 100mm x10mm x3mm neodymium bar magnets attached to the TWA
A couple of 100mm strips of thin (maybee 0.7mm) perforated steel strip with some felt self adhesive backing on the guitar side so as not to damage the guitar finish, over which I'll place a sheet of static window privacy film.
If needs by, I don't mind installing the X-brace and using the steel strips to mounted on the outside of the back to keep it in place. That was I can remove the x-brace (since it's not affixed with any adhesive) easily if needed, but it stays attached without the TWA needing to be on the back. The problem I had with the "x-brace no adhesive" method (where you hold the TWA on the back and then attach the TWA through the soundhole) is that my guitars live in their cases and so the TWA has to be removed; having to also remove the X-brace every time I put the guitar down was too much hassle; and I didn't want the x-brace installed permanently as it adversely affects acoustic tone on lightly built guitars - so in critical scenarios (e.g. for studio recording) I want to be able to temporarily remove it.
If it works, this should solve all the problems. Fingers crossed! It'll probably be a month before all the parts have arrived, but I'll report back when I've tested it. My concern is the magnets may be too tall at 3mm (but I couldn't find suitably sized slimmer ones). But if the x-brace is in the guitar, I shouldn't need the magnets in any case. Though I'd prefer not to have the X-brace in there at all...
Looking forward to the results. Thank you for sharing this with us and best of luck, Daniel.
Good Luck Daniel - Keep us posted
sorry for the delay. i'm usually really busy during the week.
Daniel, it is exactly as you described:
-First made a sandwich with the non-adhesive static film, the thin metal bars, and some book protection adhesive film.
this part ist attached to the back just like this, no danger for your instrument.
-I then took apart the metal bars on the back of the tonewoodamp and replaced them with some strong neodymium magnets i had lying around. i fixed it with glue.
I can't tell you much about sizes or so.. i just used what i had on hand. it probably could have been better made with some research.
I'm sure that your setup will work just fine!
All the best to you