Different Attachment solution for Classical nylon Guitar

In my experience the sandwich with the magnetic brace acts as a damper making the acoustic sound of my guitar thin and nasal. I'm thinking about alternative attachment solutions but i couldn't find any better for now. I'd be please if someone would help about this matter.

I think that, in my particular case -double back classical guitar, a detachable Surface speaker with a suction cup could be a way to go.

Thanks and regards from Austria!

2 people like this idea

Thanks Pedro - much appreciated!

I hadn't been planning to remove the metal bars from the TWA (as I'd prefer not to permanently modify it) - just put the magnets on. But that might not work as the additional 3mm depth of the magnets may mean there's not enough pressure / too much distance for the rubber vibratey bit (to use the technical term!). But we'll see!

I'll let everyone know how it works out. If you've any recommendations for protective buffer material that won't react with a nitro finish, please do let me know. I was planning to use some self-adhesive felt I have lying around, but there may be better options. 

Fingers crossed - I really hope this works as I'm dying to use my TWA every time I play but since at the moment the blue tape attachment is the only one practically viable for me, it's not getting nearly the use it deserves!

Best, 

Dan

Thanks Pedro. I think I'm struggling a bit with the wrong type of non-adhesive clear film - if you've any tips on what you used, that'd be handy. In the meantime, just to confirm my understanding:

You take a small piece of adhesive hard book protection film. The non-sticky side faces the guitar, the sticky side faces the magnets. You position the magnets, then cover with a larger piece of non-adhesive static film that clings over this assembly and is used to attach it to the guitar back (non-permanently, and without any glue - just the static adhesion). The TWA then sits over the top of this, attaching to the magnets. Does that sound right? 

If this works, it'll be a game changer for me!

Hi Daniel! 

i have this non-adhesive electrostatic clear film for years now, and i can't remember where i bought it. 

its use is to protect the guitar from scratches (something like a "pick guard" on acoustic" or as a "golpeador" in flamenco guitars). 

I made a fast google search and found something similar in mundoplectro.com, named as "Golpeador Electroestatico" although what i found is smaller as what i have.

What you describe could work but it is not what i did:

1- i unmounted the metal bars that are placed on the TWA, and replace them with magnets (this where glued with epoxy, although normal contact glue or double side tape might work too for a non permanent solution).

2- I sandwiched really thin metal bars (like 3mm) between Adhesive-film and Static-film. 

3- I placed the electrostatic part of the Static-film on the back of my guitar. You must do it at ones and the surface must be clean and with good conditions varnish (i don't think that this solution would work on shellac) 

I believe that the thickness of the materials is important. 

i'm sorry i can't help you much because i did it on the go with thing i had lying around.. In my experience:

-Book protection film could be elastic, i used something dicker with leather finish (not so pretty i must say).

-The "Golpeador electrostatico) could also be too thin and small, i had something big to cut in shape and somehow rigid.. it's difficult to explain but i saw some electrostatic film on guitar shops -they usually use them to protect the guitar during you are testing it- those ones are much thiner and flexible.

I hope it makes sense and help.

best regards and good luck!

Login or Signup to post a comment