sound clarity

Hi - I've had the TW now for about a few months and love it! I am running it on a Martin GPCPA4 guitar (grand performance cutaway performing artist series). I notice that I get a bit of distortion when strumming (open) chords....I don't get the clear, "chimy" sound of the open strings. I've read through some of the FAQs and tweaked the settings accordingly (I think). I have master gain set at 9, volume on my guitar is at 50%. On the reverb settings, I have the decay down around 15 or 17. At these settings, fingerpicking sounds very nice and pretty clear...I was just hoping to get that same kind of clarity when I strum a nice full open chord (not barre chord).

Is there anything I'm not doing that I should be doing?

Thanks,

Jeff

1 person has this question

Hey Jeffrey! Sounds like you're adjusting gain using the Amplitude knob. Master Gain is adjustable from 5-100 in increments of five. 

The following link will provide instructions to accessing Master Gain through the settings menu which will help you set TWA to best match the output from your pickup and to reduce the distortion.

https://support.tonewoodamp.com/a/solutions/articles/17000016254

I have found that changing the Master Gain and turning down my guitar volume has helped with clarity while strumming chords. It has taken a bit to realize that the device is an aftermarket device for your guitar. Meaning that the settings need to be for your guitar and your playing style. Also the settings may need to changed depending on the song. Sometimes just turning the effect to dps bystand might be the effect you are searching for. 

Beautifully put, Ray. I couldn't agree more. Certain settings work in certain situations and adapting to fit is key!

Thanks Ray - I'll give it a try.

Ray, what is "dps bystand" -- I haven't received my TWA yet (it's supposed to get here Monday) and I'm trying to absorb as much knowledge beforehand as I can.  Any clarification will be very much appreciated.  Especially as I am more of a strummer than a finger-picker, although with what I've heard in the demo videos I feel I will be doing a lot more creating with finger-picking in the days to come.  Thanks!

DSP Bypass is basically a mute. If you set your TWA to DSP Bypass, you won't hear any of TWA's effects through your guitar.

Dosen't the DPS bypass just cut the effects? I thought it was still amplified because you can control gain and volume still.

Thanks again for the clarification.  I've got my pickup on my guitar, I've got the rechargeable eneloop pro batteries all set to go. Just have to wait for tomorrow's mail!

Thanks again for the clarification.  I've got my pickup on my guitar, I've got the rechargeable eneloop pro batteries all set to go. Just have to wait for tomorrow's mail!

Login or Signup to post a comment