L.R. Baggs Lyric Acoustic Guitar Microphone

I'm considering installing the L.R. Baggs Lyric Acoustic Guitar Microphone in my Alvarez-Yairi dreadnaught guitar.  I was wondering if anybody is using the TWA with this microphone system.  My limited understanding of amplification acoustics leads me to believe that this is a horrible feedback loop in the making, but I'm not sure.  I'm hoping someone has some experience with both this microphone and the TWA, either good or bad, before I spend $200 and drill the end block of my guitar only to regret it.

Any thoughts and/or experience to share?

Thanks.

Hey David! In our experience, we have experienced a feedback loop when using TWA in conjunction with a mic only system. Something like the LR Baggs Anthem that'll allow you to blend a contact pickup and the mic will work well if you blend most of the mic's signal out.

I do believe we have some customers using TWA with a mic pickup, however, so feedback from users would be great!

Thanks for the reply, Nicholas.  That's what I had thought.  If I'm going to put in an under-bridge pickup I wouldn't bother with the pricier Anthem. I think I would go with the LRBaggs Element or the Fishman Matrix Infinity.  Or just keep my Alvarez Yairi as it is and buy a guitar which comes with an underbridge pickup.

I hope others chime in with their experiences.

TWA will work great with either the Element or the Matrix Infinity. I'm running the Matrix Infinity with my TWA in a guitar I built and the results are great!

Thanks again.  Last week I picked up a new classical guitar, the Yamaha NCX700C, which has a pickup built in.  It took me a while but I was able to adjust things on the TWA so that I don't get feedback now.  It sounds great!  I'll take your advice on the two LRBaggs pickups and save up my pennies.

In your opinion and experience, is the Matrix Infinity worth the extra expense?  Is it easy to blend the mic signal in and out depending on whether I'm using it with the TWA or straight into an amplifier?  I really appreciate your input on this issue!

Awesome, glad you got everything dialed in on your Yamaha!

I've got the undersaddle only version of the Matrix Infinity. I don't have any personal experience with the Matrix Infinity Blend. It does look like blending the mic in and out is as simple as a wheel that'll install inside along the edge of the soundhole.

Thanks for the clarification -- the Matrix Infinity seems more affordable, so that's what I'll probably go with. 

Thanks!

Login or Signup to post a comment